Thursday, October 7, 2010

Maintaining Your Edge

A question from our friend, Carole:
Dear Chef Quelly,
I made the investment many years ago to get a few good kitchen knives. I got a honing steel with the big knife, (and even a video to teach me how to use it), but I think it's time for a professional sharpening. I can even see little nicks in the blade when I look closely. Is this the right answer and if so, any idea where I can get it done locally? Appreciate your insights.
Well, here are my initial insights. I hate sharpening my knives. I have always been too impatient to do the job, but it's a necessary practice as a good cook.
But, moving on...A sharp knife may help prevent fatigue and accidents, as you put less effort into getting hard foods cut. A sharp knife is nicer to your food as it does not bruise before cutting onions and garlic (and have you ever made sauce when you only want to dice a tomato?).
Those little nicks are called micro-serrations and can be helpful, aggresive cutters--if you're slicing rope, which you are not. Sometimes you can see a dull edge. Under bright light, a dull knife, nicks and burrs will reflect a glint. A sharp knife will not.
I have a basic 2-sided (2 different grits) bench stone purchased at a hardware store. In a different stone I purchased, came a little plastic 20 degree wedge that I could use to guide my knife while stroking on the stone, which helped me get the correct angle (my biggest problem). Maybe you know a woodworker or handy person who can make you a tiny wedge. It's a great tool. Sharpening guides can also be purchased, but they do take up some room on the stone.
Once you start to sharpen, you should see that you are removing just the edge. Steel naturally forms a burr, a thin bendable projection on the edge. You might see or feel the burr. It will be on the side opposite to the one you are grinding. As you become more proficient, you'll be looking for a smaller and smaller burr. Sharpen both sides evenly. When you see the burr, use the finer grit stone to remove the coarse marks left by the coarse stone. A finished edge is sharper and more durable. A steel is used after and in between sharpening removes the burr.
Control your sharpening angle, sharpen until a burr is raised and then hone that burr to a fine finish.
I can definitely support the notion of professional grinding. With good steel knives, it is more difficult to achieve and keep an edge, but the knife will stand up to a lifetime of use and sharpening. I do not support the grinding of knives by anyone but an experienced professional, especially if you might be heartbroken by a damaged knife. Once whittled, you can never go back.
I telephoned my friend and stylist, Penny Deemer, owner of Copper's Salon for professional sharpening recommendations. She's been sending her scissors out to the same man, Mr. Smith for 26 years. He returns your tools the next day and does much of the finishing and honing by hand. Penny said, "Mr. Smith will tell you which knives will be worth it and which will not. Some [knives and scissors] hold [an edge] and some don't. Jewels, I still have the same pair of scissors I was using in beauty school. I can still use them." Mr. Smith can be reached at 908-722-4941.
Carole, after you and I both employee Mr. Smith, I think we should have a quarterly neighborhood knife sharpening party, just to maintain our edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment