Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Screamin' Continues!

My next opportunity to make ice cream was right around the corner, literally. We were invited to a neighborhood Steak Out. That's when you bring your protein of choice for your family to eat and a dish to share. I brought dessert.
My Boy has been away all summer working at Boy Scout Camp and I wanted to treat him to his favorite flavor, Mint Chocolate Chip. Using the mint (some chocolate mint, some spearmint) from the garden, I steeped the heavy cream/milk mixture I use for the custard-style ice cream we like. I'm learning to adjust the amount of eggs and fat content since too much of both makes the ice cream overly heavy in texture and also too difficult to freeze properly. If it freezes without churning (as it does when I give up and remove it from the freezing machine and put it in the freezer) it will become crystallized with jagged-edged ice, not smooth and creamy. I folded bits of a high-quality bittersweet chocolate bar into the mix as it made its way into the freezer. The mint flavor was divine. Next time, I'll temper the chocolate and allow it to harden into a very thin layer before breaking and folding in, which might melt better in the mouth. But, did I mention how great the mint flavor was?

We also made Fresh Strawberry using a lesser fat content. It had a quicker melting point and a lighter feel in the mouth. It was more icy.

And we didn't forget the cones. I used my pizzelle iron to make the cookie part, which I then wrapped around a tapered, wooden cone mold. The flavor of the cones was delicious. Next time, I might make the batter a bit thinner so the walls of the cone are thinner and I might try making the batter using brown sugar for a deeper flavor. Instead of making cones out of all of them, I turned some upside down on a small bowl while still hot and placed another bowl on top to form them into edible cups.

Waffle Cones
3 Tablespoons butter, melt then cool
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla (high quality makes a big difference)

Heat pizzelle or waffle maker. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Gently whip together the eggs and salt. Add sugar and mix until smooth. Stir in flour, butter and vanilla. The mixture will be thick. Place about 2 tablespoons in the center of the iron and bake until golden (about a minute or two). I remove one cookie at a time and form around the cone maker or the bowls. If you have tender paws, use a kitchen towel. Don't forget to pinch the bottom until it seals. These can be stored in an airtight container for up to at least a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment