Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Where the Homegrown Worlds Collide

Cyrus Hyde of Well-Sweep Herb Farm told me that his wife, "Louise puts lemon verbena in a pitcher of ice water in the summer. When you're done drinking the water, it tastes as though you've had a lemon Lifesaver in your mouth." When he tore off a leaf for me to sniff, the heady fragrance carried me away. I bought two plants. I was certain I could make use of them.

Somewhere along the way, as my schedule simmered down after the springtime rush and the temperature ratcheted up, I thought about ice cream. I spent Easter in Norfolk, Virginia with my younger sister and her family. Since my sister moved to Norfolk a few years ago, a trip to Doumar's has been on my bucket list. In case you're unfamiliar, Doumar's is the home of the first ice cream cone and to this day, they make the cones from scratch, before your very eyes.

The restaurant, which is part dine-inside and part curb service was packed full of people being served from a simple barbecue/hamburger menu. They  have a basic, but thorough ice cream sundae menu created with vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or pecan ice cream. The cones were tasty, but I was a little disappointed.

I understand that they probably don't need to create any more or new ice cream flavors to draw in the crowds, but I felt like the cones should be honored by at least one really truly (perhaps rotating) special,  homemade ice cream flavor. So, when ice cream came into season around my neck of the woods, I began creating my own.

I had the perfect opportunity. Happy hour with friends was coming up. Thankfully, my friends are accustomed to being experimented on. I planned to make Lemon Verbena ice cream. Coincidentally, berry picking was also at its peak during that week, so the ingredients on hand culminated in Peach Melba. Fresh, ripe peaches joined Wild Wineberry/Raspberry Sauce served over Lemon Verbena Ice Cream. I also made what my daughter calls Mashberry Pie, which is what happens when you pick pounds of wild berries. The ones on the bottom of the bucket are bound to get a little mashed. The ice cream had a more complex flavor than traditional lemon since the verbena has strong green flavor notes. Complemented by the berry sauce, I love it when those worlds collide.

No comments:

Post a Comment