Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Having a BALL...wish you were here!

Pints of Spicy Pickled Okra
It seems like everyone around me is canning and preserving. And because of social media, I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp. Is the trend really new or just newly popular? I've heard the art of preservation called, "one of the top 10 food trends of 2011" by the Food Network and I've seen the growth of a whole movement called, "Canning for the New Generation". Yet, the folks in my social circles have been canning every year.

I will admit that what we "put by" seems to be taking on new and edgier dimensions, however. Creations such as Cherry Balsamic Chutney or Spicy Tomato Jam seem to be filling up more jars than Basic Strawberry Preserves.

Those of us in the Canning Club don't judge you based on what you choose to preserve, we just want you to dip your toes (toma-TOES, that is! or peaches...) in the water because the art of canning is much easier than our foremothers would have us believe. Here's an example:

On Friday, I strolled to the farmer's market in my town, which is conveniently located 1 1/2 blocks away. My favorite produce vendor had a large basket of young, small okra. I almost cried at the beauty of it. Right then and there I realized that instead of subjecting it to a fate of cornmeal breading and deep-frying, it deserved a more noble purpose. I was going to pickle it and serve with martinis (made by my favorite mixologist friend) and on lovely appetizer plates at an upcoming dinner party. I selected a bag's worth (just under a pound) and took them home.

I had jars, lids and rings on hand, so within one hour, I had 6 jars of Spicy Pickled Okra in my cupboard. Here's what I did: Started the hot water bath on the stove (big pot of water, needs to simmer). Washed the jars and lids in hot soapy water and rinsed them. While the jars were resting in the hot rinse water, I got the pickling solution on to simmer. That's very simple: Vinegar, water, salt, maybe a bit of sugar (there are lots of recipes) in the correct proportion. Next, I rinsed the okra and then packed the jars with a clove of garlic, a piece of hot pepper, some mustard seeds and some celery seeds. Poured over the hot vinegar solution, put the lids on and then set them in the hot water bath for 15 minutes. It really was easy.

Organization is key. You need enough room. You need to keep clean. You can do a small batch and not feel overwhelmed. As you continue to practice, you will gain the ability to know just by looking whether you have time to "quickly make a batch of Peach Jalapeno Butter" with that irresistable peck of peach seconds that the vendor is selling at an equally irresistable price in your "spare time this weekend" or not. And think about it: Those lovely jars of okra would sell for at least $5 or $6 in a gourmet store. They cost me a little bit of time and about $2, jars included (and those are reusable).

Mangoes were on sale last week...I bought 12 for Major Grey Chutney (or something like it). What will you be canning? What would you tell a person new to preserving?

5 comments:

  1. What I would tell anyone new to canning...DON'T let it over whelm you. Once you get a method or routine you will be surprised how easy it really is. Important advice....CLEAN AS YOU GO!!! Maybe start canning with higher acid foods that use a hot water bath method...then move on to pressure canning for all the other goodies....and Cherry Balsamic Chutney??? Lets get that recipe posted Jewels....I NEED to make that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that we can keep a little bit of summers bounty through out the year by canning....once you have a routine down...such as wash jars,prep food, heat water etc... and cleaning as you go...you will find that it isn't difficult at all. And there is something to be said for tasting the flavor of a local peach in January....give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog! I'm not sure who your *favorite* "mixologist" is, but I sure hope that ONE of your fave mixologists lives with me!

    Love your blog and love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise warned me that she thought she had posted twice. She really did not, the comments come to me first for "approval" before they get published. Her comments were so terrific, I posted both of them. And Jaymie, my favorite mixologist lives with you! Funny, when I was choosing the okra at the market, she was dropping off her dry cleaning and walked up to me and said, "Hi! What are you doing?" I said, "I am choosing okra to pickle for your martinis!" How opportune was that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chit chat in the comments section! Finally able to catch up on the blog and I LOVE every minute of it, every word!

    This is your busy busy busy season, I am sure. Please know you are always in my thoughts and you light up my life.

    Have a great season.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete