Friday, September 7, 2012

In a Pickle!

After this week's earlier post about canning, a preserving pal of mine asked for a spicy bean recipe. Here's one I found on food.com that looks delicious!

Spicy Dilly Beans
  • 2 lbs green beans, washed and trimmed at ends (Do not snap beans)
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, per jar (according to your heat preference) or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce per jar (according to your heat preference)
  • 2 garlic cloves, per jar, whole and peeled
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, per jar (optional)
  • 1 head dill, per jar (or 1/2 tsp. dill weed)
  • 5 cups distilled vinegar
  • 1/2 cup pickling salt
  • 5 cups water
 
Prepare jars for canning. Bring vinegar, salt and water to a boil. In the bottom each hot sterilized jar, put the garlic cloves, cayenne pepper, mustard seed, and dill. Pack jars with fresh green beans, packed lengthwise. Do not snap beans. Process for 20 minutes at 1000' altitude, or adjust time according to your altitude.
 
I also wanted to share my basic refrigerator pickling recipe. My friend/kitchen assistant, Kelly S. shared this with me (after she shared a jar of pickles she made) and I told her they were the tastiest pickles I have ever had. I maintain that opinion, by the way. I have been refrigerator-pickling about 2 gallons of kirby cucumbers bi-weekly to stock up for winter. A one-gallon jar of the best pickles costs me $9. Considering one quart-sized jar of refrigerated pickles cost $4 in the store last time I looked, I feel like I'm getting a bargain!
 
Kelly's Refrigerator Pickle Recipe (Her family calls them Garlic Dills)
Garlic Dill Pickles
2 qts of water
1/4 cup of salt
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of vinegar
I would estimate that about 2 pounds of sliced kirby cukes makes up a gallon. I have been doubling the solution for 2 gallons.
 
Kelly says for the jars:
Cucumber ( we usually just go by what we have from our garden but i would say maybe about 4 or 5 large cucumbers sliced will give you about 4 or 5 quart jars



 
2 to 4 sprigs of dill per jar
2 to 4 cloved of garlic mined or sliced per jar

Procedure:
Bring the liquid mixture to a simmer. Slice the cucumers and insert in to jars, add liquid mixture to the jars. add some more garlic and dill to the top of the jar, then seal . let the jars cool , then refrigerate for 24 hours or more.


I use this recipe as a base to pickle all sorts of vegetables, adding herbs and spices as I see fit.




 





No comments:

Post a Comment