Friday, March 26, 2010

Knights to Remember

It took me about 15 years to proudly make the statement, "I am a graduate of a Vo-Tech." My graduation occurred almost 25 years ago, but when I was a student, going to Tech was mainly for Stoners wearing Army jackets and kids who wouldn't survive college prep classes. It was considered an insult to education. Few people saw it as a brilliant strategic move in the development of a lifelong career. A few of us did, however.
Now, Middle Schoolers have to interview to be selected for a few coveted classroom spots (the Tech in Warren County is an all-day program, half is academics). Who knew it would become the cool place to be?
I am beginning to forge a friendly relationship with Warren County Technical School's Culinary/Hospitality Program students and instructor, Mr. Fortun. I have been fortunate to employ, Erin, a Culinary Goddess (who still comes to visit but currently works elsewhere) and now, Karl, Man about Town and Steward Extraordinaire. It's Karl's job to get me prepped up and then clean up after me. He's new, but we really like him around here.
Upon Karl's suggestion, I invited my friend Anna H. from the United Way of Warren County to lunch at the technical school's restaurant, Knights Cafe. The reviews are in: We were both very impressed. Karl (on the right in his blue coat) was our server and he was attentive and polite.
Our soup was hot and delicious, our salads were fresh and prepared in front of our eyes by Erin, Culinary Goddess!
Mr. Fortun strolled the dining room making friends and he reminded us to save room for dessert. Anna is displaying the fried apple pies that both of us chose. Tasty!
Am I a tough customer when it comes to dining out? I sure am, but not in this restaurant. Before I would expect these culinarians to pump out 5-star cuisine, I want them to know basic sanitaion, beginning food preparation and good customer service and it looks like they are well on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment