Friday, March 12, 2010

Some Things I could do without in my Food-Centric Life

Yesterday we hosted our second Warren County Lunch'n Learn. I've been blessed with an invitation to partner with the area's topmost computer experts, Andrea Kirchuk of Computer Images Web and Jeff Jewell of Computing Solutions to present hour-long lunch and information seminars geared towards businesses. Our first series of seminars focus on dipping your toes in the Social Media waters and protecting your computer as you go. Molly McGrath of CIWeb also joined us. These folks really know their stuff and for as much as I invest in marketing AngelFood via the web, I have a lot to learn. Lunch'n Learns are one of my favorite types of catered meals to prepare. The menu is fresh and simple, easy to execute and low stress. It's during these times that my mind wanders. It was also during this preparation that I remembered a thorn in my paw. I can't stand the twist ties the produce people put around a head of lettuce. Sometimes they are wrapped too tight and invariably the silvery tie strangles and mangles the lettuce. I could also do without styrofoam egg boxes. While I don't know all the environmental/financial facts regarding packaging, I do know that styrofoam is often a less expensive way to package foods plus, it gives the eggs a tiny more bit of bounce while they're man-handled during shipping. My town has made it possible for me to recycle almost every bit of non-food trash in my house but not the styrofoam egg cartons. I could do without cellophane snack bags. At least the ones that tear as soon as I try to wrestle them open in my desparate attempt to get to the pretzels that will accompany my Cheddar and Barefoot Merlot. Why do some snack bags "work" better than others? I find this quite mysterious. And those "recloseable" bags that tear in the wrong place as you're wrestling open the package? Yeah, you can keep those, too. What things could you live without in your Food-Centric life?

1 comment:

  1. I could do without the packaging on hostess 100 calorie cupcakes... it never opens entirely and when I try to slide out the cardboard holding the cupcakes the cardboard slides and the cupcakes remain... my three little cupcakes always get smooshed into one big messy blob. so yeah, I could do without THAT :)

    As for my office-centric life- I could do without the post-it notes that rotate which side has the sticky so when you pick one up you get an accordian effect... and almost always 50% of your notes posted upside down. yeah that's one.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete