Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oh, Those Jazzy Apples

I never thought the day would come when my children would complain that our household was out of fruits and vegetables. Sure, I knew that the supply was dwindling, but when 14-yr. old Boy laments, "There is NOTHING to eat in this houuussseee" because he's out of apples, it's time to get myself to the market. Apples are not in season. That season would be late summer into Autumn. To begin with, I am not a big apple fan. When in season, I like MacIntosh apples because, when picked or purchased fresh, and refrigerated, their flesh is not mealy and they taste tangy, not overly sweet. Boy loves Red Delicious. Recently I was in the market with 6-yr. old Girl. We stumbled upon a new appled called Jazz. Because she takes Jazz dancing lessons, I offered to buy her some and they turned out to be fantastic. Even better than my favorite Macs. First of all, they are a perfect size. I don't need two and I can easily finish one. The flesh is denser than a Mac, closer to a Red Delicious, but the flavor is sweet and so less tanic than a Red Delish. Tanin is the acid (also in walnuts and many other foods) that gives it color but also draws your mouth astringently. I keep my Jazzy apples in the refrigerator in order to retain their crispness and keep them juicy. They don't last long. Which apple is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment